Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Tales of Terror

by Edgar Allan Poe

Tales of Terror is a collection of short stories each containing some element of death, guilt and fear. This compilation included: The Tell-Tale Heart, Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar, Hop Frog, Murders in the Rue Morgue, Masque of the Red Death, The Pit and the Pendulum, Fall of the House of Usher, The Black Cat and The Cask of Amontillado. A few of these stories I had read in middle or high school, but some were new to me. I didn't remember the similarity of the plots and themes in these stories, but gather Poe was paranoid about being buried alive, facing a vicious murder and orangutans! Poor Edgar Allan Poe, I would not have wanted to live in his mind. One funny thing to me was recognizing some of these ideas carried over to popular tv shows (one Frazier episode) movies (a particular scene in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang) and lots of other books.

I listened to these stories, and I wouldn't recommend the version I heard. Sound quality was very poor and the narrator's accent was sometimes indecipherable. However, I would recommend these creepy stories, particularly for campouts or teen-age over nighters. These are eerie without being gruesome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment