Saturday, February 23, 2013

Arsonist

by Victor Methos

Another psychological thriller and as can be determined by the title it is about an Arsonist. Not being acquainted with the mind or methods of a typical arsonist, I would guess that the person depicted in this novel was at the extreme end of the spectrum, since he was as much delighted in torturing his victims as in setting fire to them and their homes. Although Methos tries to give you a glimpse into the mind of a pyromaniac, he is not nearly as successful as Gillian Flynn was in exposing the crazies in Gone Girl.

I found the main story line hard to follow because of an undeveloped side story involving one of the detectives, which never made sense to me and included distracting diversions. There was also a situation in a church that was so unbelievable it was hard to keep going with the plot. The book included a number of fights, gun battles and car chases that popped up from nothing and didn't make sense in the context. I didn't really like any of the characters, their dialogue was unnatural and they over-used the F-word. I also didn't like all the unnecessary and mindless detail, I don't mind details that benefit or progress the story, but don't need purposeless information that just wastes my time.

Not a favorite, but the title does meet a book challenge requirement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment