Sunday, June 19, 2016

Ready Player One

by Ernest Cline

For the last couple of years, whenever I'm searching for a new book to read, Ready Player One has come up. And when I'd read the description I'd always be intrigued but then pass for something else. Well, I finally buckled... and very glad I did! Although it's not in my typical genre, it was a fun, fast-paced adventure, full of action.

In a future world that is near destruction, people have turned to a cyber world where they can explore and learn and escape their reality. This virtual world was created by James Halliday, a long dead computer nerd who grew up in the 80's. In 2042, several stereotypical high school students discover some clues hidden by Halliday in the code that will lead to a treasure for the one who can solve all the clues. Thus begins the battle to win the prize! The story is fraught with references to 80's pop culture: music, movies, tv shows, arcade games and history.

I'm not sure this story can really be categorized into any genre, perhaps sci-fi? But gamers or children of the 80's would probably like it, even if it isn't what you'd generally go for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment