Sunday, November 30, 2014

44 Scotland Street

by Alexander McCall Smith

Perhaps you recall a few months ago I reviewed the first book in The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series written by this same author, and my not being as in love with it as many of my friends, but offering to try another of his series. Well, here it is 44 Scotland Street the first in a series of the same name. These books, there are 9 of them, came into being as a weekday story published in The Scotsman in 2004. This book is the collective of six months articles featuring the residents at 44 Scotland Street. The major players are Pat, a confused girl working at an art gallery during her "gap" year, Bruce, Pat's narcissistic roommate, Domenica, the adventurous 60-ish neighbor, and the Pollack family, mainly Bertie the six-year old wonder child and his mother Irene.

I liked this one! It is a fun, fast read. This isn't a collection of short stories, it is an assortment of snapshots into the daily lives of these residents. Chapters are very brief, but at the same time giving a new little tidbit of information on the latest saga of one or other character.

Fun to read, in fact I just started episode 2! I'm not sure if I'll read through all nine, I tend to lose interest after a few books, but we'll see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment