Monday, April 28, 2014

Julius Ceasar

by William Shakespeare

For a while now I've pondered reading some Shakespeare, but whenever I'd have a look, I'd pass because it really was Greek to me. And my only previous experience with him was the nightmare of Hamlet in high school. I've mentioned before that I like to listen to audiobooks when I'm exercising. I have an audible.com account and receive their daily deals email and a few weeks ago Julius Caesar was listed for $2.95 so I decided to give it a try. The version that I heard was narrated by several people, each taking a role in the play, which for me was the way to go! Despite the antiquated language, I really did understand them and the story, and I liked it.

Julius Caesar is a pretty short play and a good way to wet your toe without diving all in. Another benefit is that the story and the characters are familiar. Caesar triumphs over a Roman enemy, he is offered the crown, he is betrayed and killed by his friends Brutus and Cassius, Marc Antony gives his famous speech, Octavius comes to take the throne and seek vengeance for his father's murder.

Here are some of the famous lines from this play:
Et tu, Brute?
Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me your ears
It was Greek to me
Beware the ides of March

I now see more Shakespeare in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment