Sunday, April 6, 2014

Horns

by Joe Hill

When I first read the plot summary of this novel I passed over it, but my sister in law kept talking it up, so I finally succumbed. Shoulda stuck to my gut. I will give credit to Hill, Horns is a well written and engaging book, I just did not like it. I didn't like the idea, I didn't like what happened in the story and I didn't like any of the characters, even though the idea is unique, the story is solid and the characters are believable. But for me there was too much focus on evil and too much trash.

Here's a quick run down. Ig Perrish wakes up one morning with a hangover and with horns growing from his head. The horns allow him to hear the inner most evil thoughts and actions of the people he is talking to. He has been accused of killing his girlfriend and been under the suspicion of the whole town for more than a year, and he is resentful. He did not kill her and needs to find out who did, but to do so he has to get ugly. And the uglier he gets, the better the horns work.

Not my cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment