Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Jane Eyre

by Charlotte Bronte

It's a classic, what else can I say? Bronte knew how to tell a story incorporating drama, romance, suspense and tragedy. 

The first time I read this book I was in high school. Between then and now (30 years later.. YIKES!) I've probably re-read it five or so times, and I still love the story. One thing that I contemplated this time was how different it would be to read Jane Eyre as an adult having never read it before. I think it would be amazing to experience this book without already knowing what is going to happen. A few years ago our book club decided to read a year of classics, several of which I had not previously read. Maturity brings an entirely different perspective and understanding to these great works.

The last two times I read Jane Eyre were prompted by it having been a book club selection. This month our group decided to read it again since a movie remake will be released at the end of the month. I'm not sure how they could improve on the Masterpiece Theater production, but it will be fun to see. 

This reminds me of the long list of classics I want to read but just haven't. I need to get back on the wagon :)


No comments:

Post a Comment