Tuesday, July 1, 2014

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency

by Alexander McCall Smith

I have friends who have read every book in this series and the others written by this author. For years they have waited for a new book to come out and have encouraged me to read his books. I understand this enthusiasm for an author, I kinda get the same way about Stephen King.  So friends, I have finally read the  The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, and I am sorry, but I just don't get your obsession. I really wanted to like this book, so please tell me if they get better as they go or if this was actually not the one to read first.

I'll give credit that Precious Ramotswe is an engaging character. She's tough and sassy. And the descriptions and details about Botswana really bring life to that part of Africa. But I missed a good story, and while there are some books in which that works, it didn't for me in this one.

So many of my friends enjoy these books though that you may want to give them a try. Maybe it's just not my cuppa, or maybe it was timing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment