Saturday, January 25, 2014

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

by Michelle Hodkin

Last Fall my husband forwarded a blog post titled "9 Books Scarier Than Any Horror Movie" and this was one on the list. A few of those listed I had already read, and honestly they wouldn't have made my scariest book list. The same goes for The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. While I did not find it scary, I will recognize that the premise does have potential to be, a teenage girl discovers that her fear combined with her anger are dangerous and deadly weapons and she is racking up quite a hit list! The Unbecoming is book one of a trilogy and regarding premise, this book details Mara's coming to recognize and understand her unusual gift. I'll also give credit to the cliff-hanger at the end of the book, which was a little twist to lead in to the next story.

Unfortunately, this book is 10% plot and 90% teenage drama/romance. I debated whether I wanted to finish this one, but went ahead and breezed through, which was easy to do as it is also very dialogue driven. I think if you were a fan of the Twilight books you might also like this series, just not for me. And if you're looking for scary: It, The Omen, Silence of the Lambs I could go on....

No comments:

Post a Comment