Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Night Circus

by Erin Morgenstern

My overall impression of this book was enjoyable, reading it was almost like being in a dream. Morgenstern's writing is simple yet full of descriptive imagery that made the circus come alive and left me wishing to explore it on my own. The Night Circus begins as a challenge created by a pair of magicians trying to prove whose magical method is superior. Complications arise when they fall in love and come to two understandings: the circus cannot stand without them and to win means to lose (I don't want to give too much of a spoiler).

I give credit to the author for her originality and imagination; the concept was very clever. Although I did find the descriptions and details of each circus tent intriguing on their own, at some point I was also ready for some more substance to the story that would justify these elaborations. I think the story could have been stronger by placing more emphasis on the battle between the magicians, which would lend support to each of the creations. At some point earlier along the journey, I also wanted the competitors to gain a better understanding of the rules, which always remain elusive to them and the reader.

All in all it is a good book that is fun to read. I look forward to more from this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment