Thursday, July 13, 2017

Stuck

Typically when I haven't posted in awhile I'm still busy reading but not taking time to write... not so this time. I am STUCK! I began reading a book about 2 months ago... it is quite lengthy, about 1,000 pages. I was off to a good start, got about halfway into it and just stalled out. The story was not progressing and I just couldn't get into it anymore. But I just can't seem to get going again :( I've continued to pick it up and read a few pages only to set it aside again. And yet for some reason I feel invested or obligated to finish it.... that hasn't happened to me in a really long time. I thought I had gotten to the "life's too short for a bad book" philosophy, but apparently this one has stumped me.

I have actually read two other books in the meantime, neither anything to write home about. However, I have read a couple of interesting cooking books! One called Ratio that discusses fundamental ratios for cooking specific things. For example, a pasta is 3 parts flour: 2 parts egg, while a pie dough is 3 parts flour: 2 parts fat: 1 part water. When these ratios are maintained, the other add ins don't matter.  I found this fascinating, as it provided insight into those competitive cooking shows on tv that seem to boggle my mind! Ratio provides ratios for a variety of doughs, batters and sauces, but it is NOT a "cook book" the ratios are given, but not any step by step directions for making any of these things.

The other book is The Olive Oil and Vinegar Lover's Cookbook, which is a combination cookbook and information about different oils and balsamic vinegars. YUM! It is also a very pretty book so if you're into those coffee table books it's a good candidate.

Another thing I've been doing is making cheese, which has nothing to do with reading whatsoever, but has been a fun and tasty adventure. I've only tried ricotta and mozzarella. RIcotta is so simple and delicious I can't imagine ever purchasing it in a tub again--- there is truly NO comparison between what you make and what you buy at the store. The mozzarella is more challenging and time consuming, but equally yummy when you get it right. But the fresh mozzarella at the deli is good enough unless you are just interested in trying to make it yourself.

OK, back to books:
I'm hoping by getting this out on the table I'll be able to finally move beyond Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell (isn't that a tempting title?). I'm not saying don't read it, just that I stalled out.  If you've finished it and it's worth the effort to keep reading, please let me know! Furthermore, if you have a great book to get me back in the groove, I'm happy for a recommendation. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I'm impressed that you are now a cheesemaker! I've made creme fresh (sp?) before but never thought about cheese. Sorry I don't have any great books to recommend. Kind of interested in A Man called Ove. Hopefully soon.

    ReplyDelete