Saturday, July 16, 2011

Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen

by Susan Gregg Gilmore

Don't judge a book by it's cover, which in this case looked promising based on the title. Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen is supposed to be a great Southern novel comparable to Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe, but trust me the only thing they have in common is the Southern (and a great title). I found the story and characters dull and seemed to be reading just to finish the book. Much of the dialogue and storyline seemed unbelievable. I also had issue with the chronology of the narrator, Catherine Grace, because she kept bouncing around in her life from nine to eighteen years old and particularly in the beginning it was hard to decide how old she was at the moment.

The thing I find most intriguing is how highly rated this book is on Amazon. Whenever I have such difference of opinion I wonder if we've actually read the same book. If you want a great Southern novel read To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.

No comments:

Post a Comment